Intended question - was {Re: Forgot name of Debian "configuration" {wrong word?} file}

On 06/14/2019 06:10 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I can't remember the name of the file which identifies the association between a directory (i.e. \home) and which physical partition it is on. The file I'm looking for also identifies which partition is used for swap.

TIA

The filename I had forgotten was /etc/fstab .

Background:
I have one laptop explicitly set aside for experimenting with Debian in order to determine *MY* ideal system. To this end I may have a half dozen copies of Debian to chose from at boot.

For my purposes, the Debian installer has two annoyances:
  1. swap area designation.
     Everything is fine on the 1st installation.
     On following installations, when the existing swap partition is
     is to be used its UUID is changed. This causes grief for the
     other installations by making swap area appear missing. My
     personally preferred solution is to activate swap only of the
     initial installation. For subsequent installs actually requiring
     a swap partition, I edit its /etc/fstab .
  2. Grub configuration.
     The installer is egotistical enough to think that what is being
     installed will always be the preferred version. NOT!
     My solution is install Grub only on the initial install and NO
     boot loader on subsequent install. After completing one (or more)
     additional installs, I boot the first install and run update-grub.

VM's had been suggested ;}