Re: Preseed file and hostname not used on installed system

On 6/10/2019 8:24 PM, john doe wrote:
> Hi, I'm installing Debian Stretch using a preseed file, the preseed file
> is common for multiple hosts with the exception of the hostname.
>
> boot: auto hostname=try domain=example.com ...
> url=tftp://hostname/preseed.cfg
>
> The host name specified is not used when Debian is installed, it is
> always set to 'bad'.
>
> I understand the limitations but what is the proper way to specify the
> desired hostname or are workarounds (1) the way to go?
>
> Any help/hints is appriciated.
>

> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/106614/preseed-cfg-ignoring-hostname-setting

After some digging/testing I'm not able to supply by kernel boot
parameter the hostname:

boot: auto hostname=foobar url=...

From what I understand, 'hostname' as kernel boot parameter takes
precedence over the hostname provided by dhcp.

It is miserably failing and I don't understand what I'm missing here?

In other words, how can I set the hostname while using a preseed file
loaded with 'auto url=server'.

Any input is welcome.

--
John Doe