Re: UEFI beginner questions

tuulen composed on 2019-06-07 22:46 (UTC-0400):

> Any computer model suggestions?

"Model" has a peculiar mix of meanings among PC manufacturers and users. The major
brands seem to like confusing users by providing multiple submodels of the same
model and calling the submodels models. The submodels number in the thousands.

So, along the same line as David Christensen's response, I suggest any x86
compatible PC capable of supporting at least 4GB of RAM, and which was designed at
least one year before release of the Debian version you intend to use should be
adequate to task. I find the motherboard chipset and the gfxchip tend to be far
more important than the brand of CPU or manufacturer. Make sure your PC has a
chipset from AMD or Intel, and a gfxchip from Intel, AMD/ATI or NVidia, and you
should be good. NVidia gfxchips tend to be capable of better performance at cost
of being more finicky. DDX drivers for its hardware are made primarily by reverse
engineering. If you wish to stick with FOSS from Debian, avoiding proprietary
software from NVidia, then best to stick with AMD/ATI or Intel for video.

I use mostly Intel CPUs. Those I have that are not are 12 or more years old. GPUs
I use are mostly from all three major brands. Drivers for others apparently don't
get much developer testing, so if available at all, tend to be less reliable
and/or flexible for use with modern widescreen displays.

UEFI BIOS are somewhat like people - each seems to be unique, and some are
friendlier than others. The older ones were less mature, so tend to be more
aggravating than more recent ones. I own 3 motherboards with UEFI BIOS. Only on my
two newer ones (2-3 years old) do I use UEFI. On the first, I simply wasn't ready
to tackle learning the new stuff.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/