Re: UEFI beginner questions

On 6/7/19 7:46 PM, tuulen wrote:
Hi,
I am an ordinary GUI and mouse computer user, not a command line user.  But
I want to get away from both Apple and Microsoft.  I spent a lot of time
looking into Linux, Unix, BSD, and eventually I discovered Debian.  And
because I like to know the details of what I am doing I also discovered
that I just naturally like Debian, too, as Debian is built upon
explanations, fine with me!

What "explanations" you are referring to?

I often find FOSS online documents to be outdated, incomplete, and inaccurate. And, there is a huge pile of conflicting information called the WWW...

Back in the day, there was:

https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/program/Bach-Design-of-the-UNIX-Operating-System/PGM81513.html

FreeBSD has a current equivalent:

https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/program/Mc-Kusick-Design-and-Implementation-of-the-Free-BSD-Operating-System-The-2nd-Edition/PGM224032.html

A current "hands-on" book that includes coverage for Debian is:

https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-education/program/Nemeth-UNIX-and-Linux-System-Administration-Handbook-5th-Edition/PGM143215.html

Lucas writes excellent "hands-on" books for BSD and other Unix topics:

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/os

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/networking

https://mwl.io/nonfiction/tools

I was in the process of partitioning my hard drive to install Debian when I
encountered a couple of UEFI complications.  My HP Laptop with Windows 10
does not offer a way to disable the "secure boot" feature of UEFI, so that
makes Debian off limits.  Then I went to the HP website but almost all of
the available HP desktops and laptops have Windows 10, with presumably the
same useless UEFI that I now have, and I did not see any Linux-compatible
HP computers as available.  I am aware that there are other computer makers
and manufacturers but I am wondering what computers the Debian community
prefers.

Typically, whatever people already own.

Determining if a given make and model of computer is fully supported by Debian from specifications, surfing the WWW, etc., is tough. If a physical specimen is available, one option is to try a Debian Live CD or USB flash drive.

If you buy a commercial product that comes with Debian pre-installed, it should work:

https://www.debian.org/distrib/pre-installed

Fortunately my needs are small bandwidth-wise, no gaming, no
movies, nothing bigger than an occasional news clip or YouTube clip, so I
do not need a big, powerful computer.

My oldest running machines have Intel 2+ GHz dual-core 64-bit processors and 945G chipsets, and are comfortable with video up to 720x480, maybe 720p. I use my Intel i7-2600S/ Q67 machine for 1080p.

I can continue to use Apple and
Microsoft computers for ordinary day-to-day uses but there are some uses,
like banking and financial matters including credit card use, etc.,

My retired Pentium 4 machines with 32-bit Debian, Xfce, and Firefox could do that. I recycled my Pentium III and older machines because of RAM limitations.

for
which I would very much appreciate a more secure computer and for different
reasons I have come to distrust both Apple and Microsoft.

I believe desktop security is primarily determined by user behavior. Exploits exist for Windows, macOS, and GNU/Linux, and the many common applications that run on those platforms. An ignorant or reckless user will be quickly "pwn3d" no matter what computer they use.

OK, so there is
a steep learning curve to using Debian, but I think I can handle learning
how to do what I need to do.

I suggest starting with this book:

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596002619.do

Any computer model suggestions?

Install Debian Stable (Stretch) into a 64-bit virtual machine on your Windows 10 laptop.

Get the debian-9.9.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso download:

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-cd/

I have used VirtualBox on Windows, macOS, and Debian:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Some editions of Windows 10 will run Hyper-V on supported platforms:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/hyper-v-technology-overview

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/quick-start/enable-hyper-v

If you want real hardware, most of us started with used desktop computers. In this case, older is often better (3+ years or older), as the newest hardware often is not supported by Debian Stable. You will want to write your ISO to a USB flash drive:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en#usb-copy-isohybrid

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Thanks!  Best regards, Doug

Enjoy!