Re: UEFI beginner questions

tuulen wrote:

> Hi,
> I am an ordinary GUI and mouse computer user, not a command line user.
> But I want to get away from both Apple and Microsoft.  I spent a lot of
> time looking into Linux, Unix, BSD, and eventually I discovered Debian.
> And because I like to know the details of what I am doing I also
> discovered that I just naturally like Debian, too, as Debian is built upon
> explanations, fine with me!

Welcome to the community! I really hope you will enjoy it. I came across
Debian in 2002 and also fell in love with it.

> I was in the process of partitioning my hard drive to install Debian when
> I encountered a couple of UEFI complications.  My HP Laptop with Windows
> 10 does not offer a way to disable the "secure boot" feature of UEFI, so
> that makes Debian off limits.  Then I went to the HP website but almost
> all of the available HP desktops and laptops have Windows 10, with
> presumably the same useless UEFI that I now have, and I did not see any
> Linux-compatible HP computers as available.  I am aware that there are
> other computer makers and manufacturers but I am wondering what computers
> the Debian community prefers.  Fortunately my needs are small
> bandwidth-wise, no gaming, no movies, nothing bigger than an occasional
> news clip or YouTube clip, so I do not need a big, powerful computer.  I
> can continue to use Apple and Microsoft computers for ordinary day-to-day
> uses but there are some uses, like banking and financial matters including
> credit card use, etc., for which I would very much appreciate a more
> secure computer and for different reasons I have come to distrust both
> Apple and Microsoft.  OK, so there is a steep learning curve to using
> Debian, but I think I can handle learning how to do what I need to do.
> Any computer model suggestions? Thanks!  Best regards, Doug

I have two HP notebooks one with Win7 and one with Win10. I am not sure
about the Win10, if I booted Debian on it, but I think yes. Most of them
support LEGACY BOOT - this will automatically disable the secure boot. If
your does not it will be interesting to know what model you have (as David
mentioned).

As of machine recommendations: https://wiki.debian.org/Hardware
I've been using the business class notebooks and desktops from Dell, Fujitsu
and HP, also some industrial boards and last but not least the legendary
Nokia N9.

Next thing would be to choose the proper Desktop I guess :)

regards