Re: realtime kernel on ARM hardware

On Monday 30 December 2019 10:01:59 Jonas Smedegaard wrote:

> Quoting Gene Heskett (2019-12-30 15:39:20)

> > This one has to do with building a pre-empt-rt kernel for armhf,

> > which allows linuxcnc to run in uspace. But subjectwise it wanders

> > badly but I'd like to show one full chain of recent events:

> [ Raspbian details snipped ]

> How do Debian with linux-image-rt-* perform on that hardware?

> https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=linux-image-rt

I can't directly answer that, Jonas, as I shifted my attention to raspbian when I tried a netinstall of the buster original image and found it was arm64.

Since the build target was to run a metal lathe with linuxcnc and

linuxcnc is very old code, and runs better on 32 bit installs because the smaller stack frame also reduces latency. So even armhf is actually overkill, and arm64 may be to slow at a context switch, so I didn't waste a lot of time with it.

For Armbian which run arm64 on a rock64, I did find that armhf was a crasher. The backup program amanda build in the repo's is apparently armhf, and amanda as a server will crash an arm64 install about one second after the server asks the client for an estimate. True for Armbian stretch and debian buster. Running amanda is one of my other requirements here. Beyond that bit of trivia, I'm fairly clueless.

Both versions are otherwise very stable, with extended up times.

> - Jonas

Cheers, Gene Heskett

-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

- Louis D. Brandeis