Re: xorriso and the "-md5 on" option

On Sat, 21 Dec 2019 23:10:45 +0000
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> Basically, I want to compare the MD5sum (or shaXXXsum) for each
> file in the ISO with the MD5sum for each extracted file. Either
> during extraction or afterwards.

Why?

You said earlier,

> Will the files in test/ have the same md5sum as the ones in the ISO?
> Obviously, I am looking to obtain uncorrupted files.

It's only on final delivery, after you've extracted the individual
files, that you really care about their integrity. If you get two
different checksums for the same file you know you have a problem, but
not where it is. (Although the chances of extracting a corrupt file and
having it fixed is vanishingly small.)

The main reason to verify the files earlier is to save you the time and
effort of further extraction before you can test them.

You mentioned using jigdo. Doesn't jigdo verify each file as jigdo
pulls it in? I think the process of pulling in the packages would have
the greatest chance of corruption, not building the ISO images or
extracting from them.

I don't know what you're up to, but you might look into apt-cacher or
apt-cacher-ng (I use the latter) as an alternative to jigdo, and let
apt handle the whole checksum effort.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com