Re: how to have a common prompt in bash and guake so I can view date and time as part of prompt ?

On Fri, Dec 13, 2019 at 07:20:53PM +0000, shirish शिरीष wrote:
> Can somebody share how can I have a common prompt which is ok both by
> bash and guake ?

guake...?  No idea what that is.  apt-cache says it's a terminal.  So
I'm just going to assume that it works like any other terminal -- bash
runs inside it.  The prompt is displayed by bash.  Therefore, the "guake"
part of the question can be ignored.

> which is not bad but I would like it to be something like this -
>
> shirish@debian 14 Dec 2019 00:43:04 :~$

PS1='\u@\h $(date +"%d %b %Y %H:%M:%S") :\w\$ '

Bash actually has the ability to show the time in the prompt without
calling date(1), but you asked for an unusual date format, so I had to
resort to the command substitution.