Re: amanda stopped working: selfcheck fails

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 21:46:23 +0100
Andrea Borgia <andrea@borgia.bo.it> wrote:

> Il 02/12/19 01:32, Charles Curley ha scritto:
>

> > How do you know this? Granted, upgrades are a likely culprit, but
> > don't
>
> I log all config changes, timestamped and with relevant links to
> documentation or supporting evidence for the decision.

OK, sounds good.

> > Is there any reason you are doing production backups on Debian
> > testing? If these are production backups.
>
> mononoke is my home desktop, clarisse is the laptop and flyingraspi
> is a raspberry running an ADS-B monitor, so hardly "production".
> Still, it's annoying when backups fail.

Ah. Your choice. I consider both my laptop and my desktop to be
"production", as I use them both daily. Perhaps I am over-cautious.

> > If I had to run one of the two, I'd prefer xinetd. However, I
> > suggest you use SSH for all your machines. It's tedious to set up,
> > but once set up it is stable and more secure. Then you might
> > (depending on what other services it manages) be able to take
> > xinetd off entirely. amanda-common requires inetd, so you can't
> > take it off. But you can use systemctl to stop it and disable it.
>
> I have verified that the xinetd config was a left-over and removed it.

OK. So we are working with inetd.

> clarisse is actually using the ssh connection precisely because it's
> more exposed than the other two hosts and I didn't want to punch a
> hole in the firewall for such a limited scenario.
>
> The decision to leave the other two with bsdtcp connections was based
> on raw speed.

Fair enough.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?