Serial port software

Hi

We have need, at the South Devon Tech Jam to gain access to a switch
that has a serial port, but using the serial port, (having issues using
the switch ip address).

I have a netbook running debian along with a usb -> 9 pin serial
connector cable. and have been asked to install software to allow serial
connection.

"Something that gives as close to a proper RS232 serial port operation
as possible."

As there seems to be a wide range of options presented by 'apt search
serial' I decided to ask here for recommendations please.

Thanks

Paul

--
Paul Sutton