Re: USB Examiner Package? Special USB Kernel Modules?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 10:28:18AM -0500, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> Thank you for your responses.  Note that I am in *no* hurry.
>
> Re:  Safety. (most responses)
>
> In a way, I *am* setting up my own "Forensics Lab", and will be happy to
> help out any Malware Mitigation organizations out there, that are
> interested in USB issues.
>
> Instead of a Raspberry Pi (Great suggestion.  Thanks!) I have a really old
> Luggable, which doesn't, natively have USB, but Pcmcia instead.  I have a
> Pcmcia USB card, with no Power Source (so anything plugged in, requires
> external power).  It won't be Buster, but I plan on using a Custom
> (compiled) Kernel without a USB support.
>
> You see, I *doing* some Homework. And the Doc Directory of the Linux Kernel
> is helping me a lot!
>
> My suspicion, by the way, is that the Power types of Malware are caused by
> shorting out some Pins.

No. See my other post. USB should take any short, it's designed for
that. It should take static discharge too (high voltage, but low
total energy). The device I linked to work by applying a moderate
voltage (-110 V, read the article as to why /negative/ and delivering
enough juice for enough time to overwhelm the overvoltage protection.

A short zap at 10kV, as Jonas proposed elsewhere in this thread
doesn't seem to be the most efficient method.

Cheers
-- tomás