Re: USB Examiner Package? Special USB Kernel Modules?

On Tue, Nov 26, 2019 at 10:28:18AM -0500, Kenneth Parker wrote:
> Thank you for your responses.  Note that I am in *no* hurry.
>
> Re:  Safety. (most responses)
>
> In a way, I *am* setting up my own "Forensics Lab", and will be happy to
> help out any Malware Mitigation organizations out there, that are
> interested in USB issues.
>
> Instead of a Raspberry Pi (Great suggestion.  Thanks!) I have a really old
> Luggable, which doesn't, natively have USB, but Pcmcia instead.  I have a
> Pcmcia USB card, with no Power Source (so anything plugged in, requires
> external power).  It won't be Buster, but I plan on using a Custom
> (compiled) Kernel without a USB support.

And how are you going to look at usb without usb support?

> You see, I *doing* some Homework. And the Doc Directory of the Linux Kernel
> is helping me a lot!
>
> My suspicion, by the way, is that the Power types of Malware are caused by
> shorting out some Pins.

NO! That is naive to think like that. It is much more destructive!
Most likely they employ a resonator circuit which is able to create
bursts with voltages in excess of 10,000 V. They will destroy any gate
on you silicon. Very evil stuff, designed to destroy.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com