Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

On 3/11/19 5:24 am, Konstantin Nebel wrote:
Hi,

this is basically a question, what you guys prefer and do. I have a Linux
destkop and recently I decided to buy a raspberry pi 4 (great device) and
already after a couple days I do not know how I lived without it. So why
Raspberrypi.

In the past I decided not to do backups on purpose. I decided that my data on
my local Computer is not important and to store my important stuff in a
nextcloud I host for myself and do backups of that. And for a long period of
time I was just fine with it.

Now i attached a 4 tb drive to my pi and I decided what the heck, why not
doing backups now.

So now I am thinking. How should I approach backups. On windows it does
magically backups and remind me when they didnt run for a while. I like that
attitude.

On linux with all that decision freedom it can be good and bad cause you have
to think about things :D

(SKIP THIS IF U DONT WANT TO READ TOO MUCH) ;)
So I could do the backup on logout for example but I am not sure if that is
not annoying so I'd like to have your opinion. Oh and yeah. I like to turn off
my computer at night. So a backup running in night is not really an option
unless I do wake on lan and run backup and then turn off. But right now I have
dual boot and Windows on default (for games, shame on me) and I might switch
cause first Gaming on Linux is really becoming rly good and second I could buy
second GPU for my Linux and then forward my GPU to a windows VM running my
games in 3d... Especially after buying Ryzen 3900X (that a monster of cpu)
an
Whoever read till the end Im thankful and ready to hear your opinion.

I use Bacula which runs the backups on a schedule, but you can also trigger them with scripting if you want them done during the day.

Cheers
Konstantin

--
Auntie Em:  Hate you, Hate Kansas, Taking the dog.  -Dorothy.