Re: Backup Times on a Linux desktop

> On Nov 2, 2019, at 05:42 PM, Linux-Fan <Ma_Sys.ma@web.de> wrote:
>
> Konstantin Nebel writes:
>
>> this is basically a question, what you guys prefer and do. I have a Linux
>> destkop and recently I decided to buy a raspberry pi 4 (great device) and
>
> [...]
>
>> Now i attached a 4 tb drive to my pi and I decided what the heck, why not
>> doing backups now.
>>
>> So now I am thinking. How should I approach backups. On windows it does
>> magically backups and remind me when they didnt run for a while. I like that
>> attitude.

I've used Amanda (in a shell script like Gene does) for going on 20 years. It's been rock solid. I use it with tape, but I hear it backs up to disks too. The only thing I don't like about it (coming from memory of the experience when I configured it these many years ago) is that it's pretty difficult to get going. Now that it's going, though, I easily change things all the time.

Recovering from a backup is a reasonable job. I don't do it very often, but the recovery software is pretty good about asking questions and providing help if you haven't used it for a few months.

It doesn't do magic, like Winders does, though. You have to tell it what kind of magic you'd like. I have a cron job that runs the backup every couple days (in the middle of the night). And another that reminds me to change the tape -- amanda whines when I ignore the reminder/forget to change the tape. Very thoughtful and well done software.

Oh, and it backs up all the computers on my LAN, including my 'Pi. And as best I know, it's strictly CLI.

--
Glenn English