Re: what is the proper way to recover grub in an EFI environment ?

Le 02/11/2019 à 17:45, shirish शिरीष a écrit :
     Directory: P:\EFI

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
d-----       15-02-2018     19:21                Microsoft
d-----       15-02-2018     19:26                Boot
d-----       25-06-2019     07:08                debian

As can be seen it can be in EFI partition but not within Boot, dunno
if that is normal or not.

It is normal. As you can see, each system creates its own directory in /EFI. /EFI/Boot contains the fallback bootloader bootx64.efi.

     Directory: P:\EFI\debian

Mode                LastWriteTime         Length Name
----                -------------         ------ ----
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1631600 grubx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57            121 grub.cfg
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1322936 shimx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1261192 mmx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57        1206824 fbx64.efi
-a----       07-09-2019     15:57            108 BOOTX64.CSV

Expected contents with grub-efi-amd64-signed.

How did you change Debian boot mode to EFI ?

I don't think I did that, although am not sure. Is there a way to see
if that has been done or not ?

In your original post, you wrote :

The install I had done was in legacy mode when I had Debian installed
and subsequently had changed the boot mode from legacy to EF

After a legacy installation, the EFI partition did not mount itself on /boot/efi and GRUB EFI did not install itself in it.

What I remember doing is being asked to try to change the BIOS from
legacy mode to a UEFI and see if the grub menu appeared. I tried and
did that and it worked for quite sometime.

This is not enough to change Debian boot from legacy to EFI.
Why were you asked to do this ? Didn't GRUB appear after you installed Debian when the BIOS was still set up for legacy boot ?

Can you see a "debian" entry in the UEFI boot menu or boot order ?

Sadly no, in the UEFI boot menu or boot order I just have the MS boot
manager and one without.

Without what ?
If there is no Debian entry then I don't see how GRUB could show up when booting in EFI mode, unless you messed with Windows Boot Manager from within Windows using bcdedit.

If you want to boot properly with GRUB EFI, you must start a Linux system in EFI mode. Then you can use efibootmgr for instance to create an EFI boot entry for Debian.