Re: KISS gpg

Andrew McGlashan (12019-11-01):
> If I understand correctly, the agent is getting in your way.
>
> Killing the agent /might/ be your answer:

Unfortunately no: using the agent is mandatory since 2.1: if I kill the
agent, it comes back.

> I think your private key has a pass phrase, but the agent is providing
> the answer without you needing to and that gives you the impression
> that it isn't protected.

No, in the particular issue I am having right now, the key has no pass
phrase, and I want to add one while exporting without ever touching the
original file.

> If it isn't gpg's agent that is getting in your way, it might be the
> gnome keyring daemon instead.

dpkg-query: no path found matching pattern /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon

> If you kill all agents to stop them interfering, then use the
> - --homedir option of gpg with a copy of your files, I think you will
> have what you need.

That would have worked with gpg < 2.1. With >= 2.1, it will ignore the
homedir option and connect to an agent. Or re-start an agent, with or
without the homedir option. I do not know what gpg does exactly, it does
not tell me. For handling something as precious as a private key, this
is unacceptable.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George