Re: What has fowled sshfs in buster

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 07:49:13PM +0300, Reco wrote:
> I agree that "chmod +w" would suffice here, *and* it should be the first
> thing that anyone should try (a hint - error message says it).
> "sudo chmod" is so Ubuntu, and all that.
>
> But after the chown, /sshnet/rpi4 is a user directory anyway, and a user
> is free to have any permissions on own directories, including insecure
> ones.

To be fair, I reversed the two commands from Gene's email.  He did the
chmod 1777 first, and the chown second.  So, yes, he would have needed
the sudo on both of them.

The point remains that putting 1777 perms on things at random is a
horribly bad idea.  A typical directory should have 755 perms at
most.  Gene didn't show us what the perms were originally.  All he
showed was a plain "ls" listing of the parent directory, showing the
name of the mount point, but none of its metadata.

A reasonable starting point, given the error message that Gene
received, would have been:

ls -ld /the/directory

Look at the owner.  Is it correct?  If not, fix it.

Look at the permissions.  Are they correct (drwxr-xr-x)?  If not, fix
them.

Don't just randomly throw 1777 or 777 or 666 permissions on everything.