Re: Bootable USB Buster System

Kenneth Parker wrote:

> What is different this time, is that I'd like to be able to Boot this from
> different Systems, probing their Network, Sound, Video, Keyboard and Mouse
> systems on Bootup, but leaving any Local Hard Drives alone.  Existing
> systems do this, for example, Knoppix, but it's doing a "Mini Install"
> each time.  I'd like to, only have the Hardware testing, but not the rest
> of the Install occurring.  Also, this allows me to have Static Data (i.e
> Logs), saved from System to System.  Sort of like a "Super Rescue System".
>
> Are you with me so far?  Have people done this?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Kenneth Parker

Just did this yesterday on a RHEL server - it actually doesn't matter what
linux is there. It all works the  same way.

I used EFI so I setup GPT and created the 3 partitions marking the first
(EFI) as bootable.
Format all as required and mount for example
        mount /dev/sdd2 /mnt/target
        mount /dev/sdd1 /mnt/target/boot/efi
        mount /dev/sdd3 /mnt/target/home

After this I copied all the required content to those partitions.
Adjust the /etc/fstab (use UUIDs - this is the most important part)

blkid /dev/sda1 etc to get the UUID

Run grub-install --root.... --boot-efi ... /dev/sdd and so on.

Double check /mnt/target/boot/grub.conf it must have your root UUID
Double check /mnt/target/boot/efi/EFI/redhat/grub.conf it must have your
root UUID

Rebooted and voila it works.

regards