Re: Bootable USB Buster System

On Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:33:52 -0400
Kenneth Parker <sea7kenp@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What I want,  is almost there (put a Live Buster DVD on a USB Drive),
> but I'm hoping for more.
>
> I'd like to format my USB Drive into, at least three Partitions,
> preferably using msdos Partitioning (so it can Boot from older
> systems).  The Partitions are Root, Swap and Home.  So far, so good,
> I've done this before.
>
> What is different this time, is that I'd like to be able to Boot this
> from different Systems, probing their Network, Sound, Video, Keyboard
> and Mouse systems on Bootup, but leaving any Local Hard Drives alone.
>  Existing systems do this, for example, Knoppix, but it's doing a
> "Mini Install" each time.  I'd like to, only have the Hardware
> testing, but not the rest of the Install occurring.  Also, this
> allows me to have Static Data (i.e Logs), saved from System to
> System.  Sort of like a "Super Rescue System".
>
> Are you with me so far?  Have people done this?

I always understood that Knoppix and other live CDs/DVDs didn't touch
the host drive(s) at all, unless you specifically requested a hard-drive
installation.

I did something like this a few years ago. I had a very small USB hard
drive (with the USB actually on the drive PCB, they don't make them any
more) with an i386 installation, 'include all drivers', and it would
boot on practically any PC. It was a normal Debian system, so saving
logs and stuff was automatic. I won't swear that it drove all the
hardware, but I never noticed a problem.

--
Joe