Re: installing lazpaint (a non-debian package) on a debian system, ideally in a user-level account

On Fri, Oct 18, 2019 at 8:17 PM John Crawley <john@bunsenlabs.org> wrote:
On 2019-10-19 11:24, Dan Hitt wrote:
> There's a piece of software, lazpaint, that i would like to install on
> my debian system.
> The project dates from 2011, so i think it's pretty well established.
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazpaint/
> So i'm wondering if there's some way to invoke dpkg to get it to install
> the package in a directory of my own choosing in my own area, and
> without using sudo.
The readme.txt on the Sourceforge "files" page:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lazpaint/files/
says "The latest source code of BGRABitmap library and LazPaint is on
Github:"
And you can find "noinstall" tarballs here:
https://github.com/bgrabitmap/lazpaint/releases
I downloaded lazpaint7.0.7_linux64_no_install.tar.gz, extracted it,
entered the created  lazpaint64 directory and ran ./lazpaint.
The app window opened nicely. I didn't try to do anything with it, but
it might well be OK. All the necessary libraries seem to be bundled with
it.

Anyway, you might give that a try. Put the extracted directory anywhere
that's convenient, maybe add the command /path/to/lazpaint64/lazpaint to
some menu...
--
John

Thanks John!!!

So my fatal flaw was i didn't RTFM.  Good grief!

Anyhow, thank you for pointing out the tar file on github.

I unpacked it and it works just fine.

Thanks also Dan R for your advice.  If my gmail skills were better i would paste in what you said for context, but gmail is not RMAIL :(.

My Franken concern is that i'll install something or a library and then have some mysterious breakage later because of some conflict in some installed library, and i'd be just too clueless to handle it.

And you are right, gimp is an awesome tool.  But i wanted to try out lazpaint because in some other thread on debian-user the subject of free pascal came up, so i wanted to see what kind of programs it was capable of, and lazpaint is one of them.

Thanks again John and Dan!

dan