Re: Top 7 Programming Languages That Employers Really Want

The OP wanted this treated as a survey, and so . . .

Many dialects and derivatives of BASIC, including (but not limited to) IBM VS-BASIC (ran on 370 and compatible mainframes), TRS-80 Level 1, Level 2, and Mod I Disk BASIC, GWBASIC, and the various QBASICs (QuickBASIC and QBX). (I took one look at VisualBASIC, and swore off any further M$ development tools.)

FORTRAN (mainly FORTRAN IV: IBM G1, WATFIV, and TRS-80 FORTRAN).

Pascal (CDC Cyber Pascal).

COBOL (also on a CDC Cyber).

PL/I (CDC Cyber PL/I; CDC ANSI PL/I; IBM AS/400 PL/I).

Assemblers (DEC Macro-11, 8086).

(LISP)   <-- the parentheses are an inside joke.

C (mainly on AS/400s). I must go down to the 'C' again, to the loony 'C,' and cry.

Modula-2

MI (it's the closest you are allowed to get to a true assembler language on an AS/400)

RPG/400 (both OPM and ILE)

CL (on AS/400s; it's like a shell script, only compiled).

Java

I've forgotten just about all the SmallTalk I ever learned.

I can get by in SQL.

The more programming languages you know, the easier it is to pick up additional programming languages. And the less likely you are to treat your favorite language (or the only one you know) as a panacea. And if you have good linkage capabilities, mixed-language work is not difficult at all.

Not much that's on the published list. But then again, when I leave my present employment, I'm probably never going to write a single line of code professionally again.

--
JHHL