Re: Cisco should be held up as a laughingstock (was: Re: Filtering "UserAgent:" [was: 'apt update' failure, me or repository?])

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:38:42AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, October 17, 2019 05:25:46 AM tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 11:08:34AM +0200, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > [1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19507225
> >
> > Sorry. That link forces you through Twitter. Here are better
> > ones:
> >
> >   https://old.lwn.net/Articles/784758/
> >
> > https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/cisco-botches-fix-for-rv320
> > -rv325-routers-just-blocks-curl-user-agent/
>
> After readiing (or skimming, as the case may be), some of these links, I have
> a few reactions (after LMAO).

They're not the only ones. This is not the only Cisco messup. This is
"industry standard". Unfortunately.

> I am disappointed that this was not more widely publicized at the time (or
> even now) (I hadn't heard about it, or didn't understand it until now).

Well, read LWN (shameless plug). And consider supporting them.

> Cisco should be a laughingstock [...]

We wouldn't come out of laughing, those messups are so numerous...

Cheers
-- t