Re: 'apt update' failure, me or repository?

On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 08:54:36AM -0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2019-10-16, Art Sackett <asackett@artsackett.com> wrote:
> > For any who've found this thread by searching for the problem they're
> > having, the workaround is to create the file
> > /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/99useragent and populate it with:
> >
> > Acquire
> > {
> >   http::User-Agent "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0";
> > };
>
> By what mental procedure did you arrive at that workaround? It
> doesn't seem to /coule de source/, at least for me.

I've seen that (mis-)behaviour on some web servers: to have success
with wget, I've had to "fake" the user agent more than once (I do
experiment a bit: first, I try with some fantasy value different
from wget, second with some "mainstream" value, as the Mozilla
above. Results vary).

Web admins and "programmers" are a strange bunch. They do filter
on user agent -- if you want a good laugh, here[1]'s a particularly
egregious example.

That all said, I'd not expect Debian mirrors to do this (that's
why I mumbled about a transparent proxy: ISPs sometimes do this).

> > This is Debian bug #942478:
>
> This is you and your bug.

IMO this sounds a bit too harsh. The OP seems to be seeing this
behaviour -- perhaps it's not an apt (or a Debian mirror) problem,
but it'd be nice to know...

Cheers

[1] https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=19507225
-- t