Re: Email based attack on University

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 20:54:10 +0100
Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:

> Opening an email causes no problem to the system on Debian. We would
> be in deep trouble if it did.

That has been my experience, but I did bring some cautious habits from
Windows, I don't render HTML and don't use a preview window and I
don't, if I can possibly avoid it, use webmail.

*If* I were to use the latest flashy GUI email client with all the bells
and whistles, and *if* I were to enable all rendering options (they're
probably on by default) and *if* I were to open a malicious email, is
there any possible risk from JS expecting to find a Windows system but
still managing to do harm to a Linux system? I make only simple web
pages and applications for my own use, and believe that client-side
scripting is the work of the Devil, so I don't have any idea of what
can be done by malicious JS.

--
Joe