Re: testing security updates

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 15:40:53 -0400
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 03, 2019 at 08:35:32PM +0100, mick crane wrote:
> > Debian web page about testing is saying that testing gets infrequent
> > security updates
>
> It's more accurate to say that testing does not get ANY security
> updates. Not in any realistic sense.  Packages migrate from unstable
> into testing, and if one of those packages happens to fix a security
> bug, it's a happy accident.
>
> The only thing that even comes *close* to "security updates in
> testing" is the fact that unstable packages that are marked as high
> priority have a shorter delay before being automatically copied into
> testing.
>
> Several years ago, there was an attempt to set up a "security for
> testing" repository, but that died out and hasn't been used in years.
>
> > and that you can get more frequent security updates from
> > unstable.
>
> Which means some people choose to run unstable rather than choosing
> to run testing.  It's their choice.
>
> > Is that what people do ?
> > have buster for main and bullseye for security updates in
> > sources.list ?
>
> YOU DO NOT MIX STABLE WITH TESTING.
>
> YOU DO NOT MIX STABLE WITH UNSTABLE.
>
> YOU DO NOT MIX TESTING WITH UNSTABLE.
>
> If you use one of these, you use that one only.  No mixing.
> No Frankendebians.
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

But the boot-up banner for unstable always contains the distribution
name "<current testing>/sid" and always includes testing in the
sources.list along with unstable. This is where stable is minimally
installed then immediately upgraded directly to unstable, which is how
I do it. I've never installed testing, or upgraded to it, or placed it
deliberately in sources.list.

--
Joe