Re: Email based attack on University

On 3/10/19 5:05 am, Brian wrote:
The starting post has nothing to do with Debian and, one may notice, the
OP has not reappeared to join the conversation and give his considered
opinion. It's a typical c'mon post which should have been ignored.

Oops, pushed the wrong keys, and replied only to Brian.

But I have been lurking. And I asked here as it is perhaps the broadest group I'm a member of. It is connected to Debian, and Linux in general IF my initial thought had been more helpful in avoiding such attacks.

I have been very interested in the bulk of your responses - good general advice for individuals, but not practicable for businesses who engage graduates who were trained primarily in one OS - because that is what business demands, or so my tutors told me in 2005, when I returned to study after 40 years in the work force. I don't understand it (business demanding WindOS) given the amount of time wasted with most daily updates.

My original question had 1 direct answer - no; and several that have shown why - because the attachment was data and was executed but the program it called. I get that. What I haven't fathomed is how the attached file was opened without any interaction beyond reading the note.

A comment this morning (the sun rose about 4 hours ago here; and the news broke at about sun-set yesterday. Please forgive my sleeping in the meantime.) was that the ANU is part of the Defence Force training system. Given the suspected source of the attack, the suggestion now is that the attack was aimed at Defence Force people.

Keith Bainbridge

keithrbaugroups@gmail.com

+61 (0)447 667 468

Keith Bainbridge