Re: 24-hour vs. 12-hour time, ambiguity, and abbreviations (was Re: Default date output format changed after an upgrade to buster)

On 2019-09-12 at 21:49, David Wright wrote:

> On Thu 12 Sep 2019 at 12:42:01 (-0400), The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> On 2019-09-12 at 12:03, David Wright wrote:

>>> It might be ambiguous if m were also an abbreviation for midnight,
>>> which I've never come across.
>>
>> Neither have I, but I also haven't come across any *other* abbreviation
>> for it which might be used in this type of context (have you?), and "M"
>> is just as intuitive a choice for abbreviating "midnight" as it is for
>> abbreviating "meridiem".
>>
>> One could argue "M" for "midnight" and "N" for "noon", but then you lose
>> the intuitiveness of M for meridiem, and people would mishear the two as
>> each other in nonline conversation all the time anyway.
>
> I don't see a need for a one-letter abbreviation for midnight, nor the
> wisdom in introducing one that's already used in the same context.
> Where would you use it?

Wherever you need to specify midnight in a form where specifying any
other time would get the "AM"/"PM"/"M"(eridiem) abbreviation.

To have a two-letter abbreviation for midnight but a one-letter one for
noon might be acceptable, although it would feel lopsided to me, but
just offhand I don't know of any suitable candidate to be that
two-letter abbreviation. Again, do you have any suggestions?

> Why not just drop 12-hour times? I don't think I've ever formatted a
> 12-hour time on a computer (unless you want to count the example
> quoted below).

This isn't limited to the context of "on a computer". I think I
originally came up with the notion of referring to noon as "12:00 M" in
a context of mentioning the times in out-loud conversation; the
abbreviations are certainly used in more than just computerized contexts.

For myself, I likely would drop 12-hour time. But as long as the world
isn't agreeing to do that, pursuing ways to make 12-hour time work more
logically and less ambiguously is still worthwhile.

And of course part of the reason I like the idea is because I find the
odd looks I get when I refer to "12:00 M" without previous explanation
to be amusing.

>>> When I read emails, I only see the Date: line from the header, and
>>> the timedates used in the quotation lines. One thing I find odd is
>>> mixing AM/PM with hours containing a leading zero. I was always
>>> taught that 7 p.m. or 7pm was not written as 07, but I see that a
>>> lot here. Contrast
>>>
>>> $ TZ=Europe/Paris date +'%I.%M %p'
>>> 06.01 PM
>>> $ TZ=Europe/Paris date +'%l.%M %p'
>>>  6.01 PM
>>> $
>>
>> That's probably to ease parsing by automated tools, such as sort, so
>> that they don't have to worry about handling field width.
>
> That wouldn't be possible anyway, because you don't have control over,
> for example, whether the time follows the date, and other variability.

That just makes it even harder; not impossible, but unwieldy and
problematic enough that very few are likely to bother with trying.

> No. I think it's more likely that most people don't notice
> conventions unless they're brought to their attention. Of course, if
> you're old enough, you had years of pre-digital experience when no
> one thought of padding dates and times with 0s. That might be why I
> notice 'odd' formatting like this.

I may be confused. I thought we were talking about why some people /
tools use zero-padded hours fields with 12-hour time; I don't see how
the decision to do that could in any way arise from failure to notice a
convention without having it pointed out.

--
   The Wanderer