24-hour vs. 12-hour time, ambiguity, and abbreviations (was Re: Default date output format changed after an upgrade to buster)

On 2019-09-12 at 06:30, Dan Ritter wrote:

> David Wright wrote:
>>
>> What surprised me is the use of 12am and 12pm in the States. When I
>> was at grammar school (in the days of 12hour times), you lost marks
>> for writing either of these contradictions. It was either 12 noon,
>> 12 midnight, or 12 o'clock (where there's no ambiguity).
>
> 12 o'clock is the only one of those which is ambiguous.
>
>> Even more astonishing is the fact that the US Government switched
>> their am/pm meanings sometime between 2000 and 2008, which shows
>> just how ambiguous they are.
>
> There is only one sensible interpretation:
>
> If 11:59 AM is two minutes before 12:01 PM, then 12:00 is PM.
>
> If 11:59 PM is two minutes before 12:01 AM, then 12:00 is AM.

I take a slightly different approach, based on the apparent actual
meanings of the words for which "AM" and "PM are abbreviations.

It seems intuitively obvious to me that between 11:59 Ante-Meridiem and
12:01 Post-Meridiem must lie 12:00 Meridiem. (Though 12:00:01 - one
second later - would be Post-Meridiem again.)

Similarly, though less an "obvious necessity" consequence, between 11:59
Post-Meridiem and 12:01 Ante-Meridiem lies 12:00 Midnight. (I understand
"meridiem" to be derived from a word which would have literally meant
"mid-day".)

Both are intuitively represented as "12:00 M" - with no "A" or "P" - and
that, in its turn, is ambiguous.

That being part of why I stick with 24-hour time whenever possible.

> The problem stems from 12 actually indicating what anybody sensible
> would consider 0.

As is likely part of the reason why the usual 24-hour clock goes from
23:59 to 00:00, yes.

--
   The Wanderer