Re: Default date output format changed after an upgrade to buster

David Wright wrote:

> What surprised me is the use of 12am and 12pm in the States. When
> I was at grammar school (in the days of 12hour times), you lost
> marks for writing either of these contradictions. It was either
> 12 noon, 12 midnight, or 12 o'clock (where there's no ambiguity).

12 o'clock is the only one of those which is ambiguous.

> Even more astonishing is the fact that the US Government switched
> their am/pm meanings sometime between 2000 and 2008, which shows
> just how ambiguous they are.

There is only one sensible interpretation:

If 11:59 AM is two minutes before 12:01 PM, then 12:00 is PM.

If 11:59 PM is two minutes before 12:01 AM, then 12:00 is AM.

The problem stems from 12 actually indicating what anybody
sensible would consider 0.

-dsr-