Re: Default date output format changed after an upgrade to buster

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 09:07:10AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 07:57:37 AM Michael Stone wrote:
> > those strings are expected to change depending on
> > things like locale settings, and are for humans to read, not programs.
>
> Interesting!  I have no argument with what you say, it makes perfect sense,
> but it must be one of those things that "goes without saying" -- I can't claim
> to be a Linux guru, but in the years I've spent with Linux and with a fair
> amount of reading, I never saw that stated, nor was it ever implied enough for
> me to infer that (nor did I ever have occasion to run into a problem because
> of it (I am not the OP).)

https://mywiki.wooledge.org/locale
https://wiki.debian.org/Locale

If you're writing a program that parses the output of a command, you
typically will need to set LANG or LC_ALL to C somewhere in your
program, in order to get output in a predictable format.