Re: Default date output format changed after an upgrade to buster

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 07:57:37 AM Michael Stone wrote:
> apt-listchanges in what? If you run the stretch date on buster, you'll
> get the same output. The change is that the localized string changed to
> something more sensible and date uses the localized string. If a script
> is relying on the output of a program like date without specifying
> either the C locale or a date format, it's almost certainly doing
> something wrong--

> those strings are expected to change depending on
> things like locale settings, and are for humans to read, not programs.

Interesting!  I have no argument with what you say, it makes perfect sense,
but it must be one of those things that "goes without saying" -- I can't claim
to be a Linux guru, but in the years I've spent with Linux and with a fair
amount of reading, I never saw that stated, nor was it ever implied enough for
me to infer that (nor did I ever have occasion to run into a problem because
of it (I am not the OP).)

(I had a colleague who often felt that contracts included things that "go
without saying" -- I tried to make it a practice to write those things into
the contract. ;-)  (Well, within reason, at least -- there are things like
laws that govern contracts, and maybe well known conventions. ;-)