Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Sunday 08 September 2019 11:34:20 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 08 September 2019 08:35:51 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > i now realize that Gene by "rp4" indicated some known Raspberry
> > system. So my proposal about netboot might be hopeless according to
> > the answers of David and didier.gaumet.

> >-- But there is technical stuff left to discuss:

> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > What does this do that the iso doesn't,
> >
> > Those are images for disk-like devices only and they don't look like
> > they are supposed to boot directly via EFI. The Debian arm64 ISOs on
> > the other hand offer typical EFI boot equipment.
> >
> > > and note it takes a windows  machine to follow those instructions.
> >
> > If you mean
> >
> > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-arm64/curre
> >nt /images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images then
> > immediately before the MS-Windows instructions, i read:
> >
> >   "To create a complete image from the two parts on Linux systems,
> > you can use zcat as follows:
> >      zcat firmware.<board_name>.img.gz partition.img.gz >
> > complete_image.img "
> > I inspected both image parts by gunzip-ing them:
> >
> >   $ gunzip firmware.a64-olinuxino.img.gz
> >   $ /sbin/fdisk -lu firmware.a64-olinuxino.img
> >   ... lots of message lines ...
> >   $ gunzip partition.img.gz
> >   $ sudo mount partition.img /mnt/fat
> >   $ find /mnt/fat | less
> >
> > So i would simply provide another useless use of cat with my
> > superuser hat on:
> >
> >   # cat firmware.a64-olinuxino.img partition.img | dd bs=4096
> > of=/dev/sdf1
> >
> > (Insert "sudo" where needed, if your system has no superuser.)
> >
> > > I think what I will do next is send gparted to create a gpt table
> > > with a fat32 first partition of a gig or so, and do an ext4 on the
> > > rest of it. Then put the iso on sdf.
> >
> > The ISO brings its own partition table. Your gparted work will be
> > wasted. See the second grey box at
> >   https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO#arm64_release_9.4.0
> > which shows fdisk output for arm64 ISOs.
> > (Nothing did change in the ISO partitioning for 10.0 since 9.4.)
> >
> > > Since these come as NTFS formatted cards these days,
> >
> > Filesystems on the card get overwritten by the ISO or at least lose
> > their entry in the partition table, if they are not reached by dd's
> > work.
> >
> > > I would think that
> > > writing the iso to /dev/sdf would at least start the install, and
> > > the installers disk utils could take care of the rest.  What the
> > > iso wrote should be all that counts.
> >
> > As said, Debian arm64 netinst ISOs offer boot entries for EFI.
> > Googling "raspberry rp4 efi" shows that the combination of Raspberry
> > and EFI is exotic.
> >
> > > I have also been thru your installer docs
> >
> > Mine ? I only write docs about things like optical drives or ISO
> > 9660 filesystems.
> > By the latter i happen to be involved in the first boot step of most
> > Debian ISOs.

> [...]

Took it back and got another, same exact results, monitor says no input,
menu button does not work so I can't select/test the other input.

$75 ONN 22" 1920x1080 led backlighted monitor. HDMI/VGA inputs. Is it
working for anybody?

Hmm, go see if it works on the lathes pi3b. Works on the pi3b, but the
image is slightly lower contrast. Menu button works.

So the pi4b isn't making any, wrong mode or enough video.  Can I edit
config.txt to fix that by bringing the card in to this machines card
reader and mounting it?

Suggested settings?

Thanks to anybody thats made it work.

Cheers, Gene Heskett