Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

Hi,

i now realize that Gene by "rp4" indicated some known Raspberry system.
So my proposal about netboot might be hopeless according to the answers
of David and didier.gaumet.

But there is technical stuff left to discuss:

Gene Heskett wrote:
> What does this do that the iso doesn't,

Those are images for disk-like devices only and they don't look like
they are supposed to boot directly via EFI. The Debian arm64 ISOs on the
other hand offer typical EFI boot equipment.

> and note it takes a windows  machine to follow those instructions.

If you mean
  http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-arm64/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images
then immediately before the MS-Windows instructions, i read:

  "To create a complete image from the two parts on Linux systems, you can
   use zcat as follows:
     zcat firmware.<board_name>.img.gz partition.img.gz > complete_image.img
   "
I inspected both image parts by gunzip-ing them:

  $ gunzip firmware.a64-olinuxino.img.gz
  $ /sbin/fdisk -lu firmware.a64-olinuxino.img
  ... lots of message lines ...
  $ gunzip partition.img.gz
  $ sudo mount partition.img /mnt/fat
  $ find /mnt/fat | less

So i would simply provide another useless use of cat with my superuser hat
on:

  # cat firmware.a64-olinuxino.img partition.img | dd bs=4096 of=/dev/sdf1

(Insert "sudo" where needed, if your system has no superuser.)

> I think what I will do next is send gparted to create a gpt table with a
> fat32 first partition of a gig or so, and do an ext4 on the rest of it.
> Then put the iso on sdf.

The ISO brings its own partition table. Your gparted work will be wasted.
See the second grey box at
  https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO#arm64_release_9.4.0
which shows fdisk output for arm64 ISOs.
(Nothing did change in the ISO partitioning for 10.0 since 9.4.)

> Since these come as NTFS formatted cards these days,

Filesystems on the card get overwritten by the ISO or at least lose their
entry in the partition table, if they are not reached by dd's work.

> I would think that
> writing the iso to /dev/sdf would at least start the install, and the
> installers disk utils could take care of the rest.  What the iso wrote
> should be all that counts.

As said, Debian arm64 netinst ISOs offer boot entries for EFI.
Googling "raspberry rp4 efi" shows that the combination of Raspberry and
EFI is exotic.

> I have also been thru your installer docs

Mine ? I only write docs about things like optical drives or ISO 9660
filesystems.
By the latter i happen to be involved in the first boot step of most
Debian ISOs.

> I feel like I'm playing pin the tale on the donkey, blindfolded.

As said, i think that David and didier.gaumet show more clue than i do.
So try to get a donkey with tail already attached.

I understand that David's advise is to look at
  https://raspbian.org/RaspbianImages
  https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Have a nice day :)

Thomas