Re: attempted install of buster arm64 net-install on rp4 fails instantly

On Sunday 08 September 2019 13:46:11 Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Sunday 08 September 2019 11:34:20 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 08 September 2019 08:35:51 Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > i now realize that Gene by "rp4" indicated some known Raspberry
> > > system. So my proposal about netboot might be hopeless according
> > > to the answers of David and didier.gaumet.

> > >-- -- But there is technical stuff left to discuss:

> > > Those are images for disk-like devices only and they don't look
> > > like they are supposed to boot directly via EFI. The Debian arm64
> > > ISOs on the other hand offer typical EFI boot equipment.

> > > If you mean
> > >
> > > http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-arm64/cur
> > >re nt /images/netboot/SD-card-images/README.concatenateable_images
> > > then immediately before the MS-Windows instructions, i read:
> > >
> > >   "To create a complete image from the two parts on Linux systems,
> > > you can use zcat as follows:
> > >      zcat firmware.<board_name>.img.gz partition.img.gz >
> > > complete_image.img "
> > > I inspected both image parts by gunzip-ing them:
> > >
> > >   $ gunzip firmware.a64-olinuxino.img.gz
> > >   $ /sbin/fdisk -lu firmware.a64-olinuxino.img
> > >   ... lots of message lines ...
> > >   $ gunzip partition.img.gz
> > >   $ sudo mount partition.img /mnt/fat
> > >   $ find /mnt/fat | less
> > >
> > > So i would simply provide another useless use of cat with my
> > > superuser hat on:
> > >
> > >   # cat firmware.a64-olinuxino.img partition.img | dd bs=4096
> > > of=/dev/sdf1
> > >
> > > (Insert "sudo" where needed, if your system has no superuser.)

> > > The ISO brings its own partition table. Your gparted work will be
> > > wasted. See the second grey box at
> > >   https://wiki.debian.org/RepackBootableISO#arm64_release_9.4.0
> > > which shows fdisk output for arm64 ISOs.
> > > (Nothing did change in the ISO partitioning for 10.0 since 9.4.)

> > > Filesystems on the card get overwritten by the ISO or at least
> > > lose their entry in the partition table, if they are not reached
> > > by dd's work.

> > > As said, Debian arm64 netinst ISOs offer boot entries for EFI.
> > > Googling "raspberry rp4 efi" shows that the combination of
> > > Raspberry and EFI is exotic.

> > > Mine ? I only write docs about things like optical drives or ISO
> > > 9660 filesystems.
> > > By the latter i happen to be involved in the first boot step of
> > > most Debian ISOs.

> > > As said, i think that David and didier.gaumet show more clue than
> > > i do. So try to get a donkey with tail already attached.
> > >
> > > I understand that David's advise is to look at
> > >   https://raspbian.org/RaspbianImages
> > >   https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
> > >

> > > Have a nice day :)
> > >
> > > Thomas
> >
> > I'll have to take your word for it.
> >
> > I now have a 5 amp. 5.09 volt supply, hot on gpio pin 2, common on
> > gpio pin 6, and I just rewrote the debian-10.0.0-armhf-netinst.iso
> > to /dev/sdf, took it to the rpi4b, and got that same single, 10ms
> [...]
I found some stuff on the raspi forum that should have helped, didn't.
But now I go back and read:Do not set hdmi_safe=1 as that overrides many
of the previous options. So I need to recomment that line. I have:
config_hdmi_boost=4, but then it says default for pi3's is already 5.
Can go as high as 9
hdmi_force_hotplug=1, in case the cable is funkity.

Maybe later. I need a nap.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis