Re: /usr 100%

On Sun 25 Aug 2019 at 10:54:45 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 25/08/2019 à 10:06, Hadi Motamedi a écrit :
> > On 8/25/19, der.hans <deb-user@lufthans.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > du -sh /usr/*
> > >
> > > That will show you disk usage per directory in /usr/.
>
> My preferred command is
>
> du -hxd1 /usr | sort -h
>
> - ignores other filesystem (e.g. if you mounted something on /usr/local)
> - does not ignore "dot" files and directories
> - sorts by size for easier reading
>
> > with "du -sh" , I am able to find big files and try to remove them .
>
> Be aware that /usr contains mostly files belonging to installed
> packages, so you should not remove such files by hand, but remove
> unnecessary packages instead. Exceptions are /usr/local and possibly
> /usr/src (although the latter should not be used for local
> compilation) as the whole /usr should be considered read-only.

This might be awkward if the OP was installing software at the time
and things are in a partially installed state.

Assuming /usr is a separate partition, a short term fix might be to
borrow some space on another partition and move some parts of, say,
/usr/share/doc onto it. For example, here are the biggies on this
system:

15M     /usr/share/doc/sqlite3-doc
30M     /usr/share/doc/ffmpeg
35M     /usr/share/doc/python2.7
41M     /usr/share/doc/python3.5
56M     /usr/share/doc/imagemagick-6-common
73M     /usr/share/doc/debian-handbook
1.3G    /usr/share/doc/texlive-doc

101M    /usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/fonts
334M    /usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/generic
844M    /usr/share/doc/texlive-doc/latex

Then the software installation can be completed, and a decision made
on a longer term strategy.

Cheers,
David.