Re: is it possible run 32-bit app on 64-bit amd system??

On Wed 14 Aug 2019 at 15:44:19 (+1000), Erik Christiansen wrote:

> > > $ mplayer -novideo file
> >
> > I'm in a strange mood today (I end up here often) -- I like to see things like
> > that written as:
> >
> > mplayer -novideo <file>
> >
> > or
> >
> > mplayer -novideo <filename>
> >
> > It makes it more clear what is "fixed text" and what is a variable / parameter.
>
> Yes, to those of us who have done a bit of reading, especially from the
> days when clarity of written expression was more highly valued. (Or at
> least given greater formality.)
>
> But not everyone has been exposed to the above long and widely established
> substitute for italics or similar to denote non-literal text, so your
> "teaching moment" is an act of generosity.

I don't know what riveravaldez has been exposed to, but their answer
was most helpful, and was expressed in the style used in mplayer's
man page. If it's felt that this style is unclear, patches can always
be offered.

BTW Should you add an extraneous "file", the only effect (in the
absence of such a file) is three extra lines of output:

   Playing file.
   File not found: 'file'
   Failed to open file.

Cheers,