Re: is it possible run 32-bit app on 64-bit amd system??

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 07:47:52AM -0400, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm in a strange mood today (I end up here often) -- I like to see things like
> that written as:
>
> mplayer -novideo <file>
>
> or
>
> mplayer -novideo <filename>
>
> It makes it more clear what is "fixed text" and what is a variable / parameter.

Clear to YOU.

But then you get the occasional fool who puts the literal < and > signs
in their command.

Basically, there isn't any good way to write example commands in
standard ASCII text without confusing *someone*.  The OP was happy
with the answer that was given, so it worked.  Arguing that a different
markup syntax might have worked better is just wasting time.

> (Of course, it doesn't work for code that requires < and > in the syntax ;-(

One of my pet peeves is the recent trend (last few years) of people
putting `backticks` around their example shell commands in IRC.  Some
of the common markup systems use backticks to mean "display this with
a fixed-width terminal-style font".  Unfortunately, IRC is *not* one
of those systems, and in technical channels that deal with Unix shell
commands, where backticks can be part of the actual shell command syntax
(albeit deprecated), it can be extremely confusing whether the user
intended the backticks to be literal, or part of their markup.

I've actually seen users put commands with `...` around them in their
bash scripts, then ask why it's not working.  More than once.

(And then there's mysql.  Oh my god, don't get me started on mysql.)