Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

On 8/12/2019 4:42 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:

> On 8/12/2019 9:18 AM, john doe wrote:
>> On 8/12/2019 3:23 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:
>>> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
>>> found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
>>> doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>>>
>>> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other
>>> port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept
>>> All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty'
>>> (without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular
>>> user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and
>>> replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and again,
>>> and again. Never allowing the connection.
>>>
>>> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
>>> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
>>> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for 'root'
>>> login, 'root' can never login.
>>>
>>> Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
>>> problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
>>> times that I many be going crazy.
>>>
>> A username needs to be specified for putty to be able to connect to the
>> SSH server.
>> So after a fresh install of Debian in putty try to enter the username
>> and the password of the non-root user you have created at install time.
>>

>> For the time being  clear any rules in iptables and try to install
>> Debian with SSH pkg and see how it goes from there.
>>

>> I have no problem accessing my servers on Stretch or Buster after an
>> upgrade from Stretch to Buster or after an fresh install of both
>> releases.
>>
>> --
>> John Doe
>>
> I've done that more than a few times. Even to the point of thinking it
> was the hardware
> (which it is not).  I had been using the net install version and
> considered that it was tainted,

No problem here with 'netinst.iso' file, did you checksummed and
verified the iso file before using it?

> so I download a full dvd version but it is the same way.  I've used
> Debian for over 10 years
> and never been faced with something like this.
>
> BTW. Where in putty do you put the user's password?  I've never seen
> that slot.  I know where
> the user's key goes, but not the user's password.

For me, after entering the server hostname/ip and port I click on open
then I get prompted to enter the username and then the password.

--
John Doe