Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

On 8/12/2019 9:18 AM, john doe wrote:
On 8/12/2019 3:23 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:
I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.

With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other
port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept
All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty'
(without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular
user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and
replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and again,
and again. Never allowing the connection.

The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for 'root'
login, 'root' can never login.

Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
times that I many be going crazy.

A username needs to be specified for putty to be able to connect to the
SSH server.
So after a fresh install of Debian in putty try to enter the username
and the password of the non-root user you have created at install time.

For the time being  clear any rules in iptables and try to install
Debian with SSH pkg and see how it goes from there.

I have no problem accessing my servers on Stretch or Buster after an
upgrade from Stretch to Buster or after an fresh install of both releases.

--
John Doe

I've done that more than a few times. Even to the point of thinking it was the hardware (which it is not).  I had been using the net install version and considered that it was tainted, so I download a full dvd version but it is the same way.  I've used Debian for over 10 years
and never been faced with something like this.

BTW. Where in putty do you put the user's password?  I've never seen that slot.  I know where
the user's key goes, but not the user's password.