New install of buster, worked fine with regular monitor, garbled display but with good mouse pointer when connected to AV setup

I recently installed buster on a machine so that I could install kodi
on it for the purpose of playing Internet content on my lounge AV
setup. It all worked fine with a regular monitor.

On trying to get it connected to the AV setup today, I get a rather
strange problem. All text mode display is absolutely fine, but when gdm3
starts, I see a good mouse pointer, but all other graphical output is
"torn up", in a way similar to the effect you would see on an old TV if
the horizontal hold is badly out of adjustment. You can see my actual
display here: https://imgur.com/a/0Vob8Na

I would show you my Xorg log but there isn't one. At present I have
only virtual console access to the machine. So, my question is, how can
I resolve this problem?

--
Phil Reynolds
mail: phil-debian@tinsleyviaduct.com