Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

Is there anything useful in /var/log/sshd.log?

Bruce

On 8/12/19 9:23 AM, Keith Steensma wrote:
I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.

With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty' (without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and again, and again. Never allowing the connection.

The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config' configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for 'root' login, 'root' can never login.

Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many times that I many be going crazy.

Keith