Re: Systemd start that won't stop

Curt Howland, on 2019-08-09:
> On 8/9/19, Curt Howland <Howland@priss.com> wrote:
> > Hi. New Buster install.
> > [ ***] A start job is running for Hold until boot process finishes (2h
> > 54m 38s / no limit)
>
> Those asterisks are also red, and moving left to right, the same as
> seen during shutdown when something won't politely die.

Just like the scanner in "Knight Rider", I see the picture.

> Only two things look interesting to me under "list units::
> # systemctl list-units
> getty@tty1.service                                loaded inactive
> dead      start Getty on tty1
> plymouth-quit-wait.service                        loaded activating
> start     start Hold until boot process f

This Plymouth thing is ringing me some bells, I'm almost certain
it has already been mentioned not very long ago, but I'm not
sure where or when.

What is the output of the following command?

	$ sudo systemctl status plymouth-quit-wait

> Since tty1 would be the console, it makes sense that it would be dead.
> I have no idea what a "plymouth" is.

It is supposed to be some sort of graphical boot screen.  I just
tried it on my Buster machine, but the only notable difference
that appeared. was that now I have asterisks when typing in the
passphrase of my ciphered drive.  I'm not even certain this is
related.

> dmesg showed nothing that looked wrong.
>
> There is no problem with partition space.

Good, I believe we can rule out the hardware side for now.

Kind regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <etienne.mollier@mailoo.org>
               5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54 2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d