Re: [OT] Helpful attitude

On Fri 09 Aug 2019 at 09:57:00 -0400, The Wanderer wrote:

> On 2019-08-09 at 09:46, John Hasler wrote:
>
> > Étienne writes:
> >
> >> ...profanity...
> >
> > Profanity is a matter of context.  As used in this discussion "shit"
> > is just a synonym for "manure".
>
> To be pedantic, "shit" isn't profanity in the first place; it's
> vulgarity.
>
> Profanity deals with matters religious.
>
> Obscenity deals with matters sexual.
>
> Vulgarity deals with matters involving other bodily functions, i.e.,
> primarily matters scatological.
>
> I think I may vaguely recall having once identified an umbrella term
> which covers all three (beyond just "foul language" or similar), but
> just offhand I can't think what it might have been.

"bad manners" or "inconsiderate behaviour" could jog your memory.

As a user on -devel said today:

  More verbose: I used the f* word before and i will continue to
  do so.

"Put that in your pipe and smoke it" is an interpretation of this
pre-emptive sally.

(Apologies for the reference to a noxious, anti-social and harmful
habit. :) ).

--
Brian.