Re: How free is Debian

On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 06:22:41 -0500
John Hasler <jhasler@newsguy.com> wrote:

>  Shahryar Afifi writes:
> > Very well said. If debian free is not using amd64 microcode, so what
> > kernel module runs my cpu as 64bit?
>
> That microcode package contains bug fixes and updates for the microcode
> that the manufacturer shipped the cpu with.  The cpu will run without it
> but the spyware coded into it[1] might not work right.
>
> [1] Or maybe there isn't any and they are really just fixing bugs that
> could be security risks.  Or maybe both.

I understand that you're being somewhat facetious, but it should be
understood that updating microcode should be taken seriously, according
to Debian developer and linux microcode expert Henrique de Maraes
Holschuh:

> Intel® 64 and IA-32 processors (x86_64 and i686 processors) are capable of
> field-upgrading their control program (microcode) as well as parameters
> for other on-chip subsystems (power management, interconnects, etc).
> These microcode updates correct processor errata, and are important for
> safe, stable and correct system operation.
>
> While most of the microcode updates fix problems that happen extremely
> rarely, they also fix high-profile, high-hitting issues.  There are enough
> microcode updates fixing processor errata that would cause system lockup,
> memory corruption, or unpredictable system behavior, to warrant taking
> firmware updates and microcode updates seriously.

https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/non-free/i/intel-microcode/unstable_README.Debian

Celejar