Re: Server hardware advice.

On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 23:59:44 -0700
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> Get at least four internal SATA 6 Gbps ports -- boot disk, optical disk,
> two data disks (mirrored).  I prefer six.

Do most people running servers really want / need an optical disk? As
long as the machine can boot via USB, is an optical disk really
important for a server?

> Then Intel stopped making desktop boards and I wanted ZFS. ZFS wants
> ECC memory.  It was time to migrate to server hardware.

My understanding is that ZFS's need / desire for ECC is something of a
myth. It's certainly true that many ZFS / FreeNAS *users* have such a
need, but the filesystem itself apparently doesn't:

https://jrs-s.net/2015/02/03/will-zfs-and-non-ecc-ram-kill-your-data/

Celejar