Re: Server hardware advice.

On 8/6/19 10:29 PM, Steven Mainor wrote:
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on how to build a home server with a primary focus on
security.

Have you considered OpenBSD?  Security is their top priority.

I plan to run nextcloud and a mail server that will serve 3 to 5
people at most.

Have you considered a mail hosting provider? The Internet is a war zone and mail servers are prime targets. Are you prepared to fight that battle 24x7? Do you want you home IP that visible? Will your mail users tolerate down-time? I provide e-mail addresses for myself and for family members; I pay professionals to host my mail service.

Hosting Nextcloud locally allows you to get at your data at LAN speeds, but:

1.  Do you have a good firewall/ router, and know how to use it?

2.  Will Nextcloud run in a DMZ?

3.  Does Nextcloud require a public IP -- e.g. DNS or dynamic DNS?

My requirements are:

A server setup that can be run with completely open source software and
doesn't require any binaries to boot. I don't trust anything closed source for
this particular project.

I prefer Intel brand motherboards, and Dell products with Intel chips, because the hardware quality is good, support documents are available for many years, and Intel supports FOSS with reference source code. So, a given FOSS OS distribution has the best chance of working OOTB on such hardware without needing binary firmware. That said, the Intel WiFi board I installed in this Dell laptop does require binary firmware.

A gigabit ethernet port.

More than one can be very useful.

A USB3.0 port or SATA connector to attach storage to.

Internal headers, internal ports, or external ports?

SATA DOM?

M.2, etc.?

I have had issues with FOSS and USB 3.0 ports. USB 2.0 is slower, but more reliable.

I have found internal to be more reliable than external.

Get at least four internal SATA 6 Gbps ports -- boot disk, optical disk, two data disks (mirrored). I prefer six.

Enough processor power and ram to run nextcloud and the mail server from an
encrypted hard drive (LUKS) efficiently with moderate throughput saving and
reading files from nextcloud.

Get a processor with AES-NI support.

Get a motherboard that uses ECC RAM and get ECC RAM. Research your OS, file system(s), services, etc., for the amount of RAM needed, and pad according to budget and market price points. I would not get less than 2 @ 4 GB ECC.

I would just build something x86 based but the amd/intel Platform Security
Processor/IME stuff makes me nervous.

Do not connect an Ethernet port with a management chip directly to the Internet and/or disable the management chip in the CMOS setup. If the box has more than one Ethernet port and you want the management features, connect the Ethernet port with the management chip to a air-walled administration LAN.

So far I have been looking at single board computers like the ones listed
here: https://wiki.debian.org/CheapServerBoxHardware#OSHW

I like the OLinuXino A20 LIME2 but I am not sure the processor will be enough
to handle the overhead from an encrypted hard drive. I also don't like that it
is only 32-bit since that will limit the file size nextcloud can handle as I
understand it.

Is there anything similar to the OLinuXino A20 LIME2 but more powerful or is
there a better option I haven't read about yet?