Re: Server hardware advice.

On Wed, 07 Aug 2019 17:12:20 +0200
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael Stone wrote:
>
> > Newer server hardware is much more power efficient and will draw very
> > little power when idle. This is one of the drawbacks to saving money by
> > using old hardware. (You can still use old hardware, just be sure it's
> > new enough that it's from the era when power efficiency became a thing.)
>
> I am not sure who you are answering to. I recently looked at HP DL360 and
> DL380 Gen10. Yes indeed they are more power efficient compared to Gen9 in
> terms they provide more calculation cycles for the same power, but this can
> not be compared to a PC.

This sort of stuff is discussed endlessly on the homelab subreddit, but
for some personal data points: I run Debian on a Dell R210 II, with 1
CPU with 4 cores / 8 threads and 16GB of RAM, and a single HDD: the thing
idles at about 23 watts. A Windows 10 VM (KVM / libvirt) adds about 5-7
watts, but a Debian Sid VM adds nothing. [Of course, the Debian VM is a
fairly minimal thing, with under 400 packages installed, while the
Windows installation is a pretty standard one.]

Celejar