Re: Server hardware advice.

On Wed, Aug 07, 2019 at 04:53:52PM +0200, deloptes wrote:
Years ago I build one to serve our needs at home. It has 4 virtual CPU and
32GB RAM - it uses 85Watt of power when not under load and it goes to above
100 if I compile software on it. It uses 10Watt more if I run a virtual
machine (virtual box or vmware - I do not test containers, but I assume
this will add overhead).

Newer server hardware is much more power efficient and will draw very little power when idle. This is one of the drawbacks to saving money by using old hardware. (You can still use old hardware, just be sure it's new enough that it's from the era when power efficiency became a thing.)