Re: odd passwd problem.

On Saturday 03 August 2019 03:55:32 Curt wrote:

> On 2019-08-03, Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Or maybe its ssh thats using the new way, and xfce4 has not caught
> > up. I
>
> https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-user@lists.debian.org/msg745969.ht
>ml
>
> You're using lightdm as a display manager (graphical login)?
>
> If so
>
>  sudo tail -f /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log
>
> as well as the contents of
>
>  /var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log
>
> might provide some clue.
>
> > haven't a clue whats changed, but it did work several times, then
> > stopped.  Completely changing my passwd from this ssh login worked,
> > I backed out and tried it, worked as expected from ssh, but is still
> > rejected from its own keyboard, so I changed it back. ?? What
> > library does that? Is there a version jump that arm did, but got
> > miss installed?
> >
> > Thank you.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett

I should add that the login greeter looks complete and normal.
I could supply a pix but 2x problems, my camera outputs 4.5 megabyte
jpg's, and it looks completely normal, until I hit return at the end of
the pw, or click on the login button.

I trolled thru the /var/log/apt/history.log.1.gz, which of course starts
with the netinstall stuff. The first thing I installed after discovering
I had a text login, was xfce4 that pulled in several hundred
dependencies.  Rebooted, had x login. Opened a konsole and did:
sudo apt install synaptic build-essential. That also pulled in at least
100 dependencies.  Expected.

The reboot after that failed to accept my pw, and has been failing since.
Those logs could be supplied but are locked down pretty tightly. I'd have
to install mc and mc-data before I could copy them someplace where I
could attach them to an email. But I'd druther not destroy the scene of
the crime just yet.  You tell me... history.log.1.gz I was able to move
with thunar. But while I did move the history to my home dir, where I
should have been able to fetch it over sshnet mounts, the first use on
picnc is no longer pi, but gene, and not even root can touch that
mountpoint. Ahh, finally got it. Attached. Now if the server doesn't
strip it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis