Re: odd passwd problem.

On Fri 02 Aug 2019 at 22:41:00 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 01 August 2019 16:58:46 Gene Heskett wrote:

> > > Maybe the SSD is drawing just enough additional current to mess with
> > > your keyboard. As already suggested, you could try removing it.
> >
> > Its a 5 amp switcher.
> >
> > > Also, since you're not worried about security you could try typing
> > > your password in the username field, to make sure the keyboard works
> > > as expected. Just don't press enter so the password is not logged ;)
> >
> > I've done that too, its displaying exactly what I typed.
>
> And I am being ignored. So here is a thought.

Well, I didn't realise you were using a DM to login when I wrote my
first reply. As with the SSD, I would have you revert from a DM to
an ordinary VC login. But I know so little about DEs that I don't
know if that's possible. What does a DM buy you?

> Someone has recently mentioned a new method of encrypting passwds. Is it
> possible that something in xfce4 has changed to the new method, but the
> passwd in the passwd file was encrypted with the older method, and that
> an ssh login is still useing the old method, so I can login remotely
> only? So possibly it might be fixed by an apt update/upgrade? Unforch,
> there is nothing to upgrade:

AIUI passwords are not encrypted, they're hashed.

> copy/paste from a konsole logged into it.
>
> gene@picnc:~$ sudo apt update
> [sudo] password for gene:
> Get:1 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates InRelease
> [39.1 kB]
> Hit:2 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster InRelease
> Get:3 http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates InRelease [46.8 kB]
> Get:4 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
> Sources [25.9 kB]
> Get:5 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
> arm64 Packages [51.5 kB]
> Get:6 http://security.debian.org/debian-security buster/updates/main
> Translation-en [28.9 kB]
> Fetched 192 kB in 2s (81.9 kB/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> All packages are up to date.
> gene@picnc:~$
>
> But is that the proper list of repo's to query?

Posting your sources.list would be more typical.

> Or maybe its ssh thats using the new way, and xfce4 has not caught up. I
> haven't a clue whats changed, but it did work several times, then
> stopped.  Completely changing my passwd from this ssh login worked, I
> backed out and tried it, worked as expected from ssh, but is still
> rejected from its own keyboard, so I changed it back. ?? What library
> does that? Is there a version jump that arm did, but got miss installed?

ssh has -v (up to 3 times) for monitoring its behaviour.

But are you're sure you're not thinking of something like LUKS1/LUKS2
rather than any change in passwd hashing (which might be why you wrote
"encrypting").

Cheers,
David.